Tuesday 6 October 2015

A Letter Home

Hola Mamita! 

I hope that you're having a great week. It was really lovely to speak to you and hear all about the matric dance. I feel like we could have spoken for much longer, if only we had the time! I feel more settled this week and I haven't been feeling as homesick as before. Now just to get my sleeping patterns in check!

I've taken your advice and have been putting my feet up in between our morning and afternoon community service sessions. Yesterday, after lunch, we were all so exhausted that we just collapsed on the floor of the balcony and most of us fell asleep. It looked like we were doing one of our First Aid drills - eight corpses spread out on the floor, face down, waiting for the rescuers.

Wilderness First Aid Training
WFA Training: V giving a thumbs up
 after saving her patient
I do have cashews in my snack bag. So, will start eating those for protein. One of the big problems with the food here is that the Dominicans love to fry it. So, for breakfast three of the mornings we've been here, they've served us a tray of french fries and a 2 litre bottle of Coke! (Insert emoji of monkey covering his eyes!) ¡Que malo! Fortunately, I've been able to stick to the fried eggs and tropical fruit: delicious, juicy pineapple, watermelon and mango. 

We're off to explore some caves tomorrow and then off to the beach - it's a much needed break! Today I put in my 5th concrete floor and started building a latrine...

Mixing cement for a concrete floor
Abrazos y besos
Tu Hija

Ps. Check out this sunset!


3 comments:

  1. Always fun to eavesdrop! 5 floors. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally got to catch up on your blog! Seems like you're having an amazing time girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! So much going on. We won't recognise you when you get home! Seems to me the sunsets are your reward for all the hard work.
    Estoy muy orguilloso para ti!
    Abrazos muy fuerte

    ReplyDelete