Sunday 17 May 2015

Fridge-less in Prague!

As my time in Prague is drawing to an end (where did the time go?), I find myself reflecting on my first two weeks in this fairy-tale city.

I landed in Prague knowing only that someone called Kristýna would be waiting for me, and that she would be the blonde in the red coat. I was so worried that she would just drop me off at my apartment and leave me to fend for myself. Instead, she saw me up to the apartment and showed me where the tram stop was. "Let's hope your building has a lift!", said my mom, after watching me lug my suitcase down the stairs. Thank goodness it does! 

When she left I noticed that the flat was quite bare, with two bright green and orange plastic plates and bowls, and one teaspoon. But it made me feel quite special to see a plate with homemade muffins and fresh tulips in a vase.

Before

My first weekend was all about adjusting, before I started my internship the next week, and that was great. I was determined to get out of the apartment and explore the city. The first thing I did was to make my apartment more homely (I bought a pink carpet and a mat, put a fruit bowl here and there and magazines on the coffee table, under a ruby red candle – it needed some love) and try all of the Czech food and drink (trdelníklangoše and svařák)*.

After

I had never lived on my own before, so, that has been a real experience and adventure in itself. At the time, I was excited, but also worried about being lonely, as I consider myself to be a people's person. Looking back, I think I've managed just fine, except for the few conversations I've had with myself, in my head, before I made friends.

The weekend began with a quick Google of the days of the week in Czech to figure out what would be open over the Easter weekend. Despite the cold, the city centre was buzzing, with activities in every square, live music and stalls selling hot wine, Czech beer, sweet pastries, beautifully painted Easter eggs and wooden sticks with colourful ribbons.



I saw lots of little boys carrying these sticks around and even a man on a motorcycle with lots of ribbons attached to a broomstick. As part of an Easter Czech tradition, boys go around hitting girls with their sticks and only stop if the girls give them painted eggs. Make of that what you will!


A giant cracked egg next to Charles Bridge.

An "egg tree" in the city centre.


I was minus a fridge for two weeks, after being assured that it would arrive on Easter Monday. It was a curse and a blessing... I guess. Coffee creamer in my tea versus eating out a lot and getting to know the city (but you do crave a homemade meal after two weeks!). Also, cooking for one person is hard! 

It was a wee bit cold for my South African blood that first weekend, so, my mom (I think jokingly) suggested that I put my groceries on my windowsill - which probably would have worked, because it was 2°C outside! So much for Spring!


*Trdelník is a sweet Czech pastry made from leavened dough cooked over hot coals and then rolled in cinnamon sugar and almond flakes. There’s a Nutella option, which does not disappoint! A trdlo is the wooden stake the dough is wrapped around for cooking which gives it its traditional hollow shape.

Langoše (basically a Czech pizza) is a deep fried flatbread which is topped with garlic, grated cheese and tomato sauce, and served hot.

Svařák is mulled or hot wine. It’s dark purple, spicy and perfect for 2°C weather! 

No comments:

Post a Comment