Wednesday 6 May 2015

Love, Labour Day and Eiffel Towers

No, I'm not talking about Paris, the City of Love, but you'd be right to be confused. 

Petřínská Rozhledna
Being alone in Prague on Labour Day is like being on your own on Valentine’s Day at home… not wanting to join in the rallies, I headed for Petřín Tower (Petřínská Rozhledna), otherwise known as Prague’s Eiffel Tower.





















Imagine my surprise when I arrived at Petřín Hill and all I could see were couples making out under the cherry blossom trees.




Seeing all these lovers really drills into you that your significant other is half way around the world. Wandering around by myself, I even got a few looks of pity! 

Take that, you star-crossed lovers!

A few action-shots:



 

This one is quite sweet actually.


And so, I climbed almost 300 steps to the top of the tower. Well, more like I conquered them. I'm afraid of heights. It had rained earlier that day, I clung onto the metal railing which was icy cold, and the wind hit me like a knife. Even the steps were wet! By the time I reached the first observation deck, I was a little worse for wear and my fingers were numb. But not wanting to give up - who knew what was going on in my head at the time? I decided to plough-on. "You can do this, girl"... Deep breath... "Don't look down"... Pause... "Keep going!"... Deep breath..."Oh, crap! I looked down".



There are two staircases around the tower, so that
the people going up will never meet those going down.


I finally reached the top. Of course the view was worth it. But then there's the next problem with travelling alone... Who will take your picture? I'd only have pictures of the monuments and scenery, if I didn't occasionally ask someone to take my picture... usually after they ask me to take their couple picture... a young girl travelling alone is obviously very approachable. 


Prague Castle at night.

Do the walk up - you can stop, catch your breath and take pictures along the way. The lines for the funicular (Lanovka) were a nightmare both times I went. Maybe take the funicular down. It's cool that you can use your public transport ticket for the funicular and you won't have to pay extra. 

Prague Castle
Along the way...


Take your student card, you'll only pay 65 Kc to go up the tower, instead of 120 Kc. 

The Mirror Maze (Zrcadlové bludiště na Petříně) is very small and you may have to wait in a line inside the actual building, if it is a busy day. You may find it disappointing, so, only pay it a visit if you feel like a laugh and enjoy taking pictures of yourself looking distorted. The maze has 35 ordinary and 15 distorting mirrors (which sounds like a lot, but really isn't).


The tower lights up at night, just like the real deal.



The whole situation reminds of my dinner for one predicament. "Table for 2?" "No, for 1. I'm alone, OKAY?" It's just me, myself and I... and that's okay, because this year is all about being a strong, independent woman, with my beautiful red lipstick. But a post about all that for another day.



1 comment:

  1. There are some places which just have to be shared...

    ReplyDelete